Sometimes its the simplest things that satisfy the most! These days, that simple little thing is my crock pot! I can get up before my granddaughter, put on a pot of coffee, assemble what I need and then start my day…because by then she has realized I am up and she “needs me”. After a minor break as I get her up, dressed and ready, she in her apron as my helper, ‘we’ put on dinner. Funny enough she is a great helper, far surpassing that of her mother or Aunts before her. Her patience in the kitchen is welcoming as we chat and bring together the final meal of the day. I have learned so much from her, as she shares that ants do not like carrots, rabbits are her friends and celery is forever the enemy…LOL! This is our time, sometimes…I am alone, especially if it involves spices, but she is my squishy…she loves to get her hands in there when I am squeamish…and who am I to argue ;).
Her favourite thing to ‘pot’ is soup. She loves to stack things in the crock pot ( note to self…always check pot before adding liquid, lego does NOT go in the soup). My favourite thing is to make sure the kids are eating healthy, as I struggle to lose weight…Beef and Barley soup does the trick! It is filling for me, healthy fro them, and shhhhhh don’t tell them, but it meets all four food groups. I can serve it with a salad or with warm cheddar biscuits, and no one complains. If I had only know this when the kids were smaller!
Here is one of our favourite recipes, she said we can share 🙂
- 1 1/2 lb beef stew meat
- 3 medium carrots, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 2/3 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 1/4 beef flavored broth (two 32-oz containers)
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix all ingredients except peas.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 9 to 10 hours.
- Stir in peas. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 20 to 30 minutes longer or until peas are tender.
- You can add the peas while you are whipping up the ever so easy Bisquick cheddar biscuits